By Savannah Baird
Student council members collect money on hat day for the Smith family. Photos of the Smith’s house show that bedrooms were tossed around, rooms and objects were charred, and the house got so hot that the metal roofing on porch melted down.
“It all happened within like five minutes. We just ran outside and waited for the fire department,” said Jordy Smith (10).
At roughly five in the morning on March 14, the home of Jordy Smith caught on fire due to a short circuit in the utility room. Jordy’s mother Linda Smith said that she left for work at 2:30 a.m. and then her husband left at about 4:30 a.m. at five she got the call that her home was on fire.
“At first, I thought she [her daughter Laikin] said that the dog was dying, I had to call her back and that’s when I found out about the fire,” said Linda.
Jordy woke up to the smell and sight of smoke and the first thing he did was find the source, which was the utility room. Once he realized what was happening he woke up his sister Laikin Smith, an SHS graduate, and they attempted to get the animals to safety.
“It was traumatizing, hysterical, definitely gave me an adrenaline rush. I had to flip a bed to get to the cat, and I definitely couldn’t have done that if that [the fire] hadn’t been going on,” said Laikin.
However, they lost a 10 year old boxer named Fletcher and a one year old kitten.
“There were a lot of mixed emotions because I knew my dog was still in there, but I knew me and my sister were safe, and I was happy about that,” said Jordy.
Once the two, and the majority of the animals, were out of the house safely Jordy made the 911 call while Laikin called their mother. Jordy stated that having to call 911 made him feel older in the situation.
Eric Carey (12) was called to the scene at 6:30 to help his cousins. He said that by the time he got there things had calmed down and the fire was gone, but they were just checking the last of it. He described the scene as having three different fire departments with two tankers, one ambulance and quite a few first responders. The worst of the fire was gone, and there were no longer first responders running around.
“I was just happy to see that everyone was okay,” said Carey.
Laikin said that Eric helped her bury her cat and carry their dog, Fletcher, out in a deep freezer to be cremated.
Carey stayed home from school that day to take Jordan anywhere he wanted to go to keep his mind off of the events of the morning. Later in the afternoon, a friend of Jordy’s mom offered to take Jordy shopping for things that he would need, which he asked Eric to accompany him to. Kevin Carey gave him some of his clothes to get by on and he got a chance to clean up at Carey’s house as well.
As of Friday, March 15 Scottsburg High School held a hat day for donations for the Smith family. The Smith’s are not reaching out themselves but the community has been quick to help.
“We had hat day,” said student council co sponsor Michael Sims, “we raised over $530. We were pleasantly surprised by that, we were expecting three.”
During lunch on March 15, the family was given the money through a representative of the family.
“We gave the money directly to the family because they would know best what they needed to do with it,” said HSTW Principal Jeff Cox.
Along with raising money from a successful hat day, Maxine Rembusch, the athletic department administrative assistant, took Jordy shopping at the mall in Clarksville, accompanied by Carey again.
“Tell everyone I said thank you. I really appreciate everything. We all do,” said Laikin.