The recent fires engulfing the wildlife in Australia have taken a toll. With 14.7 million acres of land destroyed by the bushfires, more and more areas in Australia are being overcome by it. Numerous buildings and homes have been destroyed in the process as well as countless lives, both human and animal. As of Jan. 6, CNN reported that 24 people have been killed along with 480 million animals.
Help can come from any source, even from students at Scottsburg High School. Here are some ways to donate to the relief aid in Australia:
- Donate to the Australian Red Cross.
- Donate money or item to GIVIT.
- Donate money to the firefighters on the front lines in the rural communities.
Or send aid to organizations that specialize in animal aid and hospitalization:
- Donate money to Australia’s RSPCA.
- Donate to New South Wales Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service Inc.
- Donate to any one of these organizations to save koalas: Koala’s In Care, Australian Koala Foundation, and Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.